What to Know About Adult Orthodontics
According to our own Dr. Neal LaRoia—one of the best orthodontists close to Lombard—it’s never too late to straighten your smile. Though braces continue to be associated with teens, it’s increasingly common to see adults visiting our office for orthodontic treatment. Today, we’ll discuss the pros and cons to undergoing later-in-life orthodontics.
- Improved aesthetics. One of the main reasons adults seek out orthodontics is to get the beautiful smile they’ve always wanted.
- Re-straightening shifted teeth. Though all orthodontists recommend wearing a retainer after treatment, not all patients are able to keep up with the regimen. This can cause teeth to shift out of their straightened position.
- Corrected bite pattern. Straight teeth aren’t just beautiful—they’re actually better for your health! Straightening your teeth as an adult can improve digestion, reduce head and neck pain, and improve your ability to keep them clean and healthy.
- Decreased bone mass. As you age, your bones may become thinner and less ideal for straightening. This may result in fewer orthodontic options depending on the individual. It’s always best to consult a professional dentist for recommendations.
- Past dental work. Teeth wear down with time and many people require crowns, bridges, implants, or other kinds of restorative work. These dental features can complicate adult orthodontic treatment.
- Gum disease. Adults have a much higher rate of gum disease compared to kids and teens. Healthy gums are essential to successful orthodontics.
Work With the Best Orthodontist Close to Lombard
Dr. Neal LaRoia is prepared to work with patients of all ages, with all dental backgrounds. Our office is staffed with compassionate and professional dental care workers who make every effort to help patients feel comfortable and informed about their treatment. Are you ready to get started? Contact us today to schedule your consultation. We hope to hear from you soon!