Getting braces is an exciting time in your life, as it means you are finally on your way to getting the smile that you have always wanted. Through a series of wires and brackets, braces help shift your teeth into place, with our orthodontist in Lombard overseeing your progress at every step of the way. While braces have become more durable, there are still certain foods that you should avoid when you get your braces on, as they may cause damage. Facets of your braces including rubber bands, wires or brackets could be damaged if you eat certain foods.
Here are some foods our orthodontist in Lombard recommends avoiding:
- Crunchy foods like nuts, hard taco shells, corn chips, popcorn, ice and pretzels
- Sticky and chewy foods like bagels, licorice, gum or candies
- You should also avoid food that requires you to bite into it, as this could shift a bracket out of place if you bite down with too much force. This includes food like apples, corn on the cob or even raw vegetables.
You’ll be happy to know that there are many foods that you will still be able to enjoy.
Here is a list of foods that you can eat while you are wearing braces:
- Dairy, including foods like cheese, pudding and milk-based drinks
- Breads like soft tortillas, pancakes and muffins
- Grains including pasta and rice
- Vegetables and fruits such as mashed potatoes, beans, bananas and fruit juice
- Seafood such as salmon and tuna
- Meats and poultry such as chicken or lunch meat
- Sweet treats like ice cream and cake but be sure to leave out the nuts!
Beware of Soreness
You’ll likely notice that in the following days after you get your braces on, your mouth will be sore to the point that you need to change your diet. Stick to soft foods that are easy to chew including oatmeal, soup, yogurt, mashed potatoes, spaghetti, bananas and soft bread. Softer foods are not only easy on your mouth but on your braces as well. As your mouth begins to become less sore, slowly begin to introduce harder foods back into your diet.
Once your braces are removed, you’ll quickly realize that the time and effort was worth every second! Contact our orthodontist in Lombard if you’re in need of braces or if you have questions about what foods to eat while you have your braces.